How to backup
- If you have a way to transfer files from one computer to another, get it ready and plug it in/log in. (ex. a USB drive, a cloud drive like dropbox, etc.)
- Make sure Insight is only running on 1 computer.
- Click on Utilities. (may be under More...)
- Click on Data Utilities.
- Click on Backup.
- If it prompts to backup online click Yes If you are just backing up, the backup should complete and you are done.
But, If you are planning to move to a brand new computer click No and move on to the next step.
- Select the USB drive as the save location of the backup, or save to the desktop if you plan to move it to a cloud drive. It should save as a file called Backup.zip
- Click OK
IMPORTANT: Do not leave your backup on the same computer as Insight is installed on if you want to use the backup when/if the computer goes down.
How to restore
- Have your USB drive or cloud storage ready on the computer you want to restore to and make sure it has a recent Backup.zip file from Insight on it.
- Get the Insight installer by logging in here: https://www.salon-software.com/insight-client-login/
- You username and password should be your email address and serial number listed under the Company Info area in your working copy of Insight. (Found in Setup > Company Info). If you can't run Insight please call support.
- It would be best to write the serial number down as it's used as the restore password as well.
- Install Insight on the new computer. (Note: Not compatible with Mac OS)
- Run Insight
- Click on Utilities
- Click on Data Utilities
- Click on Restore
- Click OK on the Warning that appears if it's a new Insight install or you are sure you aren't overwriting anything.
- Click Choose Backup. It will ask you to find the Backup.zip file on your computer. If it's on the USB drive or a cloud drive, it would be easiest to drag the zipped file to the Desktop. If you have Online Backups you can also pick the newest online backup on this screen.
- Click Restore.
- Enter the restore password. (The password is the serial number described in step 2)
- It will prompt you to confirm the date of the backup, click OK if the date is correct.
- Click Restore again.
- When the restore completes you may get a prompt about Quickbooks, if you are overwriting data we recommend selecting Ignore restored information unless you are setting up a completely new computer.
If, at any point, you run into an issue please call our support department for assistance at 1-800-805-4532.